Thursday, August 30, 2007

Wednesday night is Hoopin Night!

Last night was one of those magical nights. Magical for me of late has meant organic and by that I mean time just unfolds; days and nights develop without much guidance or push into something delicious.

I love days and nights that unfold like this. Wonderful unplanned visits with friends stopping by or walks or bike rides with my girl or wagon rides around the neighborhood where we meet new neighbors and have conversation while our kids play. Yes these are the kind of days and nights I love. Organic. When my workday for now is routine, I like some of the other parts of my time to be a little less routine. There are plans of course to eat and grocery shop and pay bills and work on the ever-growing list of the to-dos but there is a fine balance for me on certain days where there are no hugely concrete plans just perhaps a few parameters that set the pace of the day like oh they are coming by at 2 or yeah let's eat meet at 6.

This night was one of those great nights where the pace of the night just felt right. This is the organic I am talking about. Nothing was definitively planned. I came home to meet my sweet sister-friend and her girl. Next, the rest of my family came home from their day. We poured some wine and talked and caught up on weeks of stories. Our girls put on their princess dresses, ate ravioli and played. We talk in tangents always connecting the dots in conversation and for both of us it really never matters if we finish one topic or not because we know we'll pick it up the next time we talk.

In our town, Wednesday night is Hoola Hoop night at one of our favorite local hangouts. The DJ is one of my favorites and on Wednesdays he spins some good old style reggae among other stuff. What is old style Reggae? I don't know but I know its what I like and I can tell you some of these songs I've been listening to for over 20 years. That is alot of time and yet it feels like it isn't. I love reggae particularly in the spring and summer and in the sunshine. This is music that makes me want to dance. Desmond Dekker and the Israelites, so many others. I labored to this music when I had my sweet baby girl. Great labor music. Great hooping music. An invitation to get lost in the groove. I close my eyes and let myself go who cares if the hoop drops keep going on.

The great part of this hoopin night is anyone can go. All ages. There are wee ones hooping right along side grandmothers. I watch my girl as she spins her hoop. She has without a doubt in this moment found her own groove as she dances and spins her sweet self freely around and around. I soak up the music, my girl and my friends and family and I taste the goodness of this moment.

The night of music continues to unfold as one of my favorite bands begins to play Yogoman Burning Band. I don't know the people in the band but to me it sure seems this band loves what they are doing. Their energy, the energy they give to the crowd is pure magic. They are plain and simple: so fun and so good. How good it is to be around fun this energy, to be around people who love what they are doing.

As my sister-friend and I dance together, with our children, on our own we watch our girls, the two of them smiling and dancing, running and venturing on their own. We watch them shine. We say to eachother "look at our girls." We don't need to say much more.

I love this night. I am filled with energy when we get back home and after putting my girl to bed though it is nearly 11:00 I am not ready to sleep.

There's much I have to do this week. Yes plans. But good ones and there is no specific date and time just action steps to accomplish within the week. I realized yesterday more urgently than perhaps on other days that I needed a bulletin board to post my plans, to-dos and post them big. I want my ideas and dreams up on my wall where I can stand before them, look at them, work on them, do them. My pocket size calendar and small moleskin notebook are great for my bag a and keeping track of appointments and in the moment brainstorms but for the dreams I am working on now I know they must be posted in a much bigger space. I never would have thought it would have taken months to decide on the type of bulletin board I wanted but it did. I thought I found the perfect giant sized one a few weeks ago in a free curb-side giveaway. A few days later when I really took a good look at the big board now inside our house, I saw that it was was warped. And warped for my dream board just didn't feel right. So I made the purchase yesterday and settled on corkboard tiles that I can put right up on my wall without a hammer and nail. I am excited. I have some initial postings for my wall that I am getting ready to work on too. More on this soon.

No comments: